One Bunker Hill
601 West Fifth Street,
Los Angeles, CA 90071
Angela M. Machala represents public companies and corporate executives in a variety of contexts, including regulatory and white collar criminal investigations and state and federal litigation.
In Ms. Machala's white collar practice, she has represented publicly traded companies, audit committees, independent directors, and corporate officers in federal grand jury, SEC, and other government investigations. In addition, Ms. Machala has extensive experience in conducting privileged internal corporate investigations. Examples of recent representations include:
- Healthcare. Represented several executives of a major health plan in state criminal investigation relating to Medi-Cal payments, and obtained across-the-board declinations from the State Attorney General’s Office. Also successfully represented executives of a leading bio-tech company in federal grand investigations related to False Claims Act and off-label drug promotion.
- Environmental. Currently represents Fortune 300 company in federal grand jury investigation related to criminal false statement provision of the Clean Water Act.
- Antitrust. Represented executives in after-market auto parts and high-tech industries investigated for criminal price-fixing, and successfully carved clients into corporate plea agreements.
- Internal Investigations. Recently concluded investigation for Fortune 50 company related to allegations of criminal export control violations. Also conducted multiple internal investigations for major health provider related to allegations of kickbacks and other corporate impropriety.
- Defense Contractor Fraud. Currently represents scientist in federal criminal investigation related to contracts with the Department of Interior.
- National security. Represented former FBI agent in prosecution for alleged national security violations, resulting in deal of probationary sentence in lieu of mandatory 15-year prison term.
In the civil arena, Ms. Machala currently represents three current and former FBI agents in a Bivens action alleging First Amendment violations. She also has represented a frozen foods company in trade secret, breach of fiduciary duty, and unfair competition litigation against former executives of the company and their new employer. In addition, Ms. Machala has worked on significant appellate matters before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Ms. Machala is active in the Los Angeles County Bar Association, and currently serves on both the Judicial Appointments Committee and the Litigation Section Executive Committee. She has also spoken as a panelist at both the ABA White Collar Crime National Institute and the NACDL West Coast White Collar Seminar on topics such as internal investigations in the age of voluntary disclosure and setting the course for negotiations with the government.
Ms. Machala graduated summa cum laude from UCLA in 1997 with a B.A. in Political Science. She received her J.D. from Yale Law School in 2001. After graduating from law school, Ms. Machala served as a law clerk for the Honorable Nora M. Manella in the United States District Court for the Central District of California, and for the Honorable Pamela Ann Rymer in the U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit.